Over the past year, residents have expressed interest in a variety of events they would like to attend. Events that enhance local art culture in Largo has been greatly voiced. On August 24th, the Recreation, Parks, and Art Department held a community input session with local artists and art advocates in order to define the upcoming March 31st event: Art in Largo Central Park. We welcome your input to the topics discussed. Let's build the Art in Largo Central Park event together!
Art in Largo Central Park
During the input session, the following ideas were discussed:
- Using friendly language, we should encourage emerging artists to prepare artist statements in order to get them on their way to showing at larger exhibits
- Community members should be included in the choosing of who can represent their art in the event
- Requirements should be that all art be hand-crafted (crafters, makers, specific goods, food art, etc...)
- Should we have a Juried Art Show?
- PROs: artists will be more inclined to participate
- CONs: funding for awards
- Ideas: local busiesses to sponsor cash prizes, no cash prizes/ artists will be more enticed to sell at the event
- Networks to be involved:
- Local alliances from Largo, Clearwater, St. Pete, etc…
- Junior League (Art Harvest in Dunedin)
- North Pinellas Arts Alliance
What are your thoughts?